Choosing the right defense attorney to represent your DUI or criminal case is of utmost importance for your case’s outcome. Here is a checklist to help you hire a great lawyer to defend your case.
Choosing A DUI | Criminal Defense Attorney – Checklist
√ Does the attorney practice criminal defense or DUI defense exclusively?
- If so, how long have they practiced criminal and DUI law?
√ Does the attorney have any Washington State Bar complaints filed against them?
√ Does the attorney appear professional?
- Are they well-groomed and dressed in professional attire?
- Is their office clean and organized?
- Does their law firm appear to be doing well?
- Is the law firm accredited by the Better Business Bureau – Rated A?
√ Is the attorney able to articulate the law and communicate clearly?
- If so, will he/she be a strong negotiator?
√ Were you able to contact the lawyer easily?
- Does the attorney communicate by text, email, and/or phone in a timely manner?
√ Did the lawyer quote legal fees over the phone without getting to know you or the facts of your case?
√ Do low fees indicate a “dump truck” lawyer – a lawyer who quickly collects money and then makes you plead guilty?
√ Did the defense attorney promise case results over the phone without investigating the facts of your case?
√ Does the DUI and/or criminal defense attorney have real client reviews or testimony listed on valid websites such as Avvo, Google, or Yelp?
- Be cautious of attorneys that have a lot of reviews or reviews that sound too good – they are most likely fabricated!
√ Does the law firm offer affordable payment plans?
√ Lastly and most importantly, do you feel comfortable with the attorney, do you think they will be a good fit?
Written by Senior DUI and Criminal Defense Attorney, David O