Is Your Driver’s License Suspended from a DUI?  You May be Eligible for an IIL Drivers License

If your Washington State driver license has been suspended or revoked because of a DUI or other drug and/or alcohol related offense, you may be eligible for a IIL, or Ignition Interlock Driver License.  For many, having the ability to drive is a necessary part of life; going to doctors appointments, picking up kids from daycare, driving to and from work etc, and filling out paper work and paying monthly costs is worth having their driving capabilities restored by obtaining an IIL.

You may qualify for an Ignition Interlock Driver License if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • You must have an unexpired Washington State driver license.
  • You have a Washington State residential address.
  • You have an arrest or conviction of any of the following;  1) DUI or physical control involving drug or alcohol, 2) reckless driving, 3) vehicular assault involving drugs or alcohol, or 4) vehicular homicide involving drugs or alcohol.
  • Your current suspension or revocation doesn’t include and of the following; 1) minor in possession, or 2) habitual traffic offender, suspended 1st degree.

Along with a IIL you must also install and maintain an ignition interlock device on any vehicle you drive.   An ignition interlock device is an instrument installed in or near the steering wheel of your vehicle that will require you to blow into before you can start the vehicle.  Your BAC, or blood alcohol content, blow must be under .025 for the vehicle to start.

To apply for an IIL you must:

  1. Install an ignition interlock device on vehicles you will drive.  The installer will send the proof of installation to the Department of Licensing.  See our recommended list of DUI / Reckless Driving Ignition Interlock Companies by clicking here.
  2. Obtain SR-22 car insurance.
  3. Complete a Restricted Driver License Application, available on the Washington State Department of Licensing website,
  4. Submit the application and fee.

If the DOL approves your application they will mail or email or Ignition Interlock Driver License when your license suspension or revocation begins.  Once you have your IIL you may legally drive your ignition interlock equip vehicle as long as you maintain and pay for the ignition interlock device and SR-22 insurance.

If you have been arrested and/or charged with a DUI, reckless driving, or any other drug and/or alcohol charge in Washington State, contact the qualified DUI and criminal defense attorneys at David O Defense to schedule a free consultation, 206-459-6392.  They will listen to your case and answer any questions you may have, including questions concerning driver license suspension.


Written by Sarah Ann