Dealing with a criminal charge can be extremely stressful. Much of the stress comes from the unfamiliarity of the legal system and the possibility of facing serious consequences such as jail time. When a person uses healthy techniques to deal with this stress, they think clearer and have better control over their emotions which makes the process of going through a legal situation easier.
When stress is mismanaged it can effect a person emotionally and sometimes physically. Generally this leads to poor decision making, decreased productivity, and lack of joy in life. Poor management of stress can even make a legal situation even worse; such as acquiring an additional criminal charge.
Some unhealthy ways of coping with stress include;
- Drinking too much Alcohol
- Using Drugs or Pills to Relax
- Over Eating
- Avoiding Friends or Family
- Withdrawing from Activities
- Sleeping all Day
- Taking your Stress out on Others
Learning to deal with stress in a healthy manner can make a person feel more in control of their life. They have more control over their thoughts, emotions, and lifestyle.
Some healthy ways to deal with stress include;
- Exercise, Yoga, Stretching, Dancing, Team Activities
- Connecting with People, Talking to a Trusted Individual
- Taking Good Care of Yourself, Eating Healthy, Adequate Sleep
- Simply Give Your Mind a Break from the Stressor
- Manage Your Time Well, Don’t Over Commit
- Take Time to Relax
- Engage in Activities You Enjoy such as; listening to music, reading, writing, walking, going out for dinner etc.
- Avoid Excessive Caffeine, Sugar, Alcohol and Drugs
The legal process can be extremely stressful, however when the stress is managed, dealing with a criminal charge will be easier. When stress is handled in a healthy manner individuals are more resilient and can stand up to tough challenges. They are able to think clearer, make better decisions, and move forward with their lives.
Remember that people are all individuals and stress management is not a one-size-fits-all. That’s why it’s important for an individual to experiment with healthy stress management techniques and find out what works best for them!
Have you ever been out with friends and you swore to yourself you would only throw back a few beers or only enjoy one or two frosty beverages. You may have entered the evening with the best intentions to limit your alcohol intake, but the night was young and the party was hot so you had a few more drinks. Now your wondering if you’ve gone overboard and perhaps you enjoyed too many finely crafted brews. Well, wonder no more, if you have any of the following symptoms or find yourself in one of the following situations than you know you drank too much alcohol.
You know you drank too much alcohol if…
- you think you’re good at singing and know all the words to every song
- you believe your dance moves are the best anyone has ever seen
- your mascara has run down your face, past your lips
- you keep introducing yourself to the same person over and over again
- you’re hugging everyone; the hugs keep rolling out even to strangers
- you’re missing a shoe or high heel
- you’ve fallen off your bar stool for a second time
- you’ve eaten so much, you should hold a world record eating title
- you pet someone’s fur coat thinking it’s a dog
- the next morning you see left over fast-food bags in your car
You know you’ve drank too much alcohol if..
- you try to do high kicks or run sprints
- you wake up to a police officer knocking on your car window
- you have double vision and you believe every person has a twin
- the next day your friend sends you a picture of yourself sleeping in a restaurant booth
- you challenge someone to a breakdance competition and you don’t breakdance
- you find your own jokes to be super funny
- at a later date you find a video of yourself dancing on the bar top
- you think you know the meaning of life
- you think your nose is a musical instrument
- you fall asleep standing…
And the list can go on and on!
Please Note: This list is for fun and for laughs, by no means should it be used to evaluate how intoxicated an individual is. Nor should it be taken seriously!
The DUI and criminal defense attorneys of David O Defense work hard to provide exceptional client care and case management and it shows when our clients write us great reviews. Senior DUI and criminal defense attorney, David O, recently received this 5 star review from a DUI client:
“David O is the best attorney you can ask for. I just got my first DUI and he was very helpful with all the information and didn’t beat around the bush while working with you. He knew what he was doing and he doesn’t just want to take your money, he gets to know and understands your situation. He gives you all the steps you should do before your court date to help you with your case. I will refer him to anyone. I hope I don’t need him again but if I do I will definitely call him before anyone else.” Posted by Nick M., DUI Client -2014
David O Defense would like to thank all clients who have taken time out of their busy schedules to write us a review! Our criminal defense law firm takes pride in posting only real client reviews, our reviews are never purchased or fabricated. To read more of our client and colleague reviews click here, REVIEWS.