Are you looking to hire a lawyer to defend your DUI charge? Make sure to do a little research before choosing a criminal defense attorney, not just any old lawyer will do. You’ll want to hire a reputable DUI lawyer!
Sure, any old lawyer could show up to court and move your case through the judicial system, but that’s not enough, especially when you consider the possible consequences of being convicted of a DUI; suspended driver’s license, jail time, fines, and more. Choosing to hire a reputable DUI lawyer will give your case the best fighting chance to get optimal results.
Check out these 4 Reasons you should hire a reputable DUI lawyer over any old lawyer!
- A DUI attorney is well-practiced in defending clients charged with drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs. Attorneys that practice other types of law will not have as strong of a skill set in the practice of DUI defense law. For example; if you needed to see a doctor because of heart pain, you would be best served seeing a doctor that specializes in the heart such as a cardiologist rather than seeing a primary care doctor who would have less knowledge about the heart. The same is true with law; if you need help with a DUI you would be best served with a reputable DUI criminal defense attorney rather than an attorney that practices multiple types of law.
- During DUI negotiations, an experienced DUI attorney is more capable of discovering legal issues and developing those issues to present to the prosecutors. A stronger case presented to the prosecutors = better case resolution.
- Washington State DUI laws and penalties change frequently, a reputable DUI lawyer will be up to date on those changes and can use those changes to better serve their clients.
- And lastly, a DUI criminal defense attorney works closely with reliable resources such as treatment agencies and ignition interlock companies to make the DUI process easier and less stressful for clients.
So take a little time and do some research before hiring the first attorney that comes to mind or is at the top of your Google or Bing search. Check out some websites, read some attorney reviews, and meet up with a few DUI lawyers in person. You will get a much better idea of how that reputable DUI lawyer will handle your case and you’ll feel much more confident as your case moves through the judicial system.
Twenty nine year-old, Tori Dawn McKinnley, of Nevada made some major mistakes on July 16th. According to Mohave County sheriff’s reports, Tori had been heavily under the influence of alcohol when she ran her pickup truck into two cows and continued on to the local convenience store.
At approximately 10:25 pm officers approached the pickup truck at the convenience store and noticed front end damage. They discovered Tori’s three children in the back seat of the pickup, ages 6, 7, and 9. After making sure the kids were ok, the officers questioned the kids about their mother and the truck. The children told the officers that their mother had hit two cows while driving on Stockton Hill Road. Seconds later, Tori came out of the convenience store and pointed at the front of her pickup and said, “cows.”
Officer’s immediately suspected McKinnley of DUI, driving under the influence. She smelled of alcohol and admitted to drinking two beers. After failing the DUI field sobriety tests, the mother of three was arrested and taken to jail where her breathalyzer test results revealed a BAC level of 0.243, over three times Arizona’s legal limit of 0.08. Obviously, Tori had a bit more to drink than 2 beers.
McKinnley’s kids were taken to a local hospital due to one of the kids complaining of leg pains. They all checked out fine and were released to a relative.
Tori was thrown into Mohave County jail and charged with three counts of felony aggravated DUI, for having three passengers under the age of 15 in her vehicle while DUI, and one felony aggravated DUI for driving on a suspended driver’s license. Tori had her license suspend in 2013 when she received a DUI out of Nevada. Tori is facing some serious chargers and will definitely need to hire a reputable DUI lawyer to help fight her case.
As for the cows, no mention was made, but there is a high likelihood that Tori will be responsible to reimburse the owner for any veterinary expenses or losses that occurred.
Written by Sarah Ann
When an individual is found guilty of a second DUI (driving under the influence) within seven years from the first DUI conviction the penalties become tougher and increase in duration and cost.
Here are Washington States minimum and maximum penalties for a second DUI within seven years.
If the BAC (blood alcohol content) result was less than .15, penalties for a 2nd DUI are as follows:
- Days in Jail: 30-364 and 60 days of EHM (electric home monitoring)
- Fines: $1,196.00 to $5,000.00
- Ignition Interlock Device: 5 years
- License Revocation: 2 years.
If the BAC result was more than .15 or a BAC refusal, penalties for a 2nd DUI are as follows:
- Days in Jail: 45-364 and 90 days of EHM
- Fines: $1,621.00 to $5,000.00
- Ignition Interlock Device: 5 years
- License Revocation: 900 days if BAC result was more than .15 Or 3 years if BAC was refused.
If charged with a second DUI in Washington State, it is in your best interest to speak with a reputable DUI criminal defense attorney about your case and options. Every DUI lawyer at David O Defense offers a free, no hassle, no obligation consultation to talk about the details of your case, call 206-459-6392 to schedule today.