Texas Ranger Pitcher, Jeremy Jeffress, obviously has not read the blog article, “What To Do – When Stopped for a DUI,” because he did not follow the suggested advice provided by the DUI attorneys at David O Defense. In fact, Jeffress made three major mistakes during the DUI investigation.
According to the Dallas Texas police, on August 26th, Jeremy Jeffress was pulled over early in the morning for a traffic violation. When police began their questioning, Jeffress made his first major error. Jeffress started talking too much and confessed to police that he had, “three or four cups of Hennessy cognac mixed with Coca-Cola”. To make matters worse, the female passenger who decided to chime in during the DUI investigation confessed that she and Jeffress were coming from SISU nightclub. Major NO NOs and strike one against Jeffress!
- The DUI attorneys at David O Defense suggest to not engage in small talk, no need to answer questions about where you have been and what you have been doing. If you do answer these questions it often leads to self-incrimination.
The Dallas police continued their DUI investigation and asked the pro athlete to perform the DUI field sobriety tests. Jeffress failed the tests! The police documented that he had poor balance and could not stand on one leg. Strike two!
- Here at David O Defense, our attorneys always suggest not to take the field sobriety tests. The tests are voluntary. They are very difficult and a completely sober person would have trouble passing these tests. Additionally, any mistake made while taking the field sobriety tests will be used against you and will make your DUI case more challenging.
Strike three for Jeffress is not asking police to speak with a DUI attorney during the beginning of the DUI investigation. If Jeffress would have asked to speak with an attorney early on, an experienced DUI attorney would have instructed Jeffress not to talk to police and not to take the field sobriety tests.
- David O Defense lawyers always suggest to ask for a DUI attorney, it is your legal right. If you do not have a DUI attorney, ask the officer to call a public defender. Once you are on the phone with a DUI attorney, that attorney will be able to give you proper instruction and advice on what to do next.
Three strikes and Jeffress is out, BUMMER! The police arrested the pitcher and transported him to a nearby station where he was charged with DUI.
Here are David O Defenses’s 4 key points to remember during a DUI investigation
- Respect – Be respectful to law enforcement.
- Ask – Ask to speak with a DUI attorney.
- Don’t Talk – You cannot talk yourself out of a DUI arrest.
- No DUI Tests – Do not take the voluntary DUI Tests.