Here are some interesting facts about the Seattle police “DUI squad.”
1) While enforcing traffic laws, DUI squad officers have authority to further investigate individuals for DUI, driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
2) DUI squad police may be called to the scene of a car collision to specifically investigate drivers for DUI.
3) Patrol officers who have stopped an individual suspect of DUI, call DUI squad officers to assist with the investigation of alcohol and/or drug impairment.
4) Seattle DUI squad officers work late evening hours to early morning hours 7:30PM to 4:30 AM. The DUI squad police are also required to be on call 24/7 to respond to any situation requiring their DUI expertise.
5) DUI squad officers appear in court frequently to provide testimony on DUI arrests. DUI charge is the most litigated misdemeanor crime in Washington State.
6) Most DUI squad officers undergo two weeks of extensive education and certification to become DRE’s (Drug Recognition Experts). DRE’s have the ability to determine if an individual is under the influence of drugs other than, or in addition to, alcohol.
All information listed above was derived from www.seattle.gov